Microaggression


Okay before I start, let me just define Microaggression for those of you guys who has never heard this term before. From the most wonderful and helpful website on the internet. Wikipedia.
Microaggression is a form of unintended discrimination. It is depicted by the use of known social norms of behavior and/or expression that, while without conscious choice of the user, has the same effect as conscious, intended discrimination. Psychiatrist and Harvard University professor Chester M. Pierce coined the word microaggression in 1970 to describe insults and dismissals he said he had regularly witnessed non-black Americans inflict on African Americans. In 1973, MIT economist Mary Rowe extended the term to include similar aggressions directed at women; eventually, the term came to encompass the casual degradation of any socially marginalized group, such as poor people, disabled people and sexual minorities.
The purpose of this homework was for me to retell some of my experiences with Microaggression. So... Story Time!!

1) Sometimes when I go shopping, because I'm Asian or not white. I do not dress very classy like either so security would follow me around even though I would wave my money around to show I could pay for the things I was looking at. They still follow and would give me the glare. One time I actually just did not buy anything at a cute store because I felt so insulted when the sales girl just stalked me around the store. No I'm not being paranoid, there were dozens of other customers yet she was always watching me when I turned and looked at her.

2) An Asian woman actually once walked up to me and offered me money to get a college education cause she assumed I was a dropout since I was working at my mother's vendor area in the summer. I was kinda angry because I thought she would have the courtesy to ask before assuming I was a dropout because I was a person of color.

3) I had people use the classic. "Where are you from?/Where are your people from?" question.

4) "I believe there is only one race, the human race." Most people would not find it offensive but I do actually a lot because I am quite proud of the culture of I grew up in and to hear someone say that makes me mad. It is almost as if you are ignoring my cultural background and being blind to it.

5) "You have to be good at math, you are Asian!"

6) "You are so outspoken and loud for a girl, you need to be more polite and well mannered."

7) "You don't want to be a doctor?"

8) "You are okay with dating outside of your people?"

This is some of the stuff I have encountered in my life but there is a lot more since most of them happen when I work at my mom's vendor area but I want to keep this list short.

My feels:

http://memeguy.com/photos/images/mrw-i-watched-toy-story-for-the-first-time-15632.gif
Bye Guys! See ya next time. Sorry about this rushed blog!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Updates

- new template ^^

Meet The Author